Sunday, May 14, 2006

Live Forever



Forgive me for not posting in what seems like an eternity but I've been busy with life and such. I returned from State College yesterday after a week of drunken gallivanting with some Collegian kids. Definitely good but bittersweet times. Congrats to the newest round of Penn State grads ... it won't be the same without you guys.

But onto more "blog worthy" things. Today's topic: polygamy (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/06/wanted.polygamist.ap/index.html). Can't say I'm a huge fan of it in general, but in the grand scheme of things, is it really the worst thing ever? I doubt it. As long as those involved are of age and consenting, perhaps law enforcement officials should go after harder criminals. I realize Jeffs is accused of marrying young children into these sects, and for that he should be pursued and punished. But it seems this is an excuse to exploit everyone involved.

What bothers me the most is the attention CNN has paid to this topic. Every time I turn around I see another special on the network about Jeffs and polygamy. CNN has used the developments in this case to "bring attention to this problem," but where is CNN and where are these specials when serial killers are on the run?

I also don't claim to know a whole lot about Mormonism, but it does seem as though those who practice it are getting a bad rap. Most people blindly assume all Mormons are polygamists, which certainly isn't true. While I do not support Mormon practices or a lot of the views of LDS church members, such an assumption is ignorant.

Ah well. I suppose there are other things to be done today. Certainly there has to be a ball game on somewhere. I'll update more in the coming days, I promise.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home